This last week I was having brain issues (2 and 2 is five, right?) and couldn’t program, so I got the extra purple/navy blocks done for the top of the quilt. I also got all the intersections between colors sewn and the sun blocks set into the quilt.
Next is another ~20 orange blocks to complete the orange band under the sun, then I can start on the green, dark navy/dark purple, dark green and black squares.
I talked to Karen (MJK Designs) about using silk organza to produce the evergreen tree shading on the left of the quilt but she says it won’t hold up in a bed quilt. Back to the drawing board. I considered stenciling the shaded evergreen tree overlay but think I’m going to have to spray the shading on and use the gold metallic paint stick to stencil on the suggestion of light at the edges and branch tips. I’ll talk to Marti Carrol when the quilt top ready for this step and see what she thinks.
I was at the Washington Star Quilters Quilt Show on Friday. A vendor there (Eagles Nest Designs) had a lovely pattern called “Dancing Cedars” that might give the perfect shape for the tree silhouette. I’ve got her website bookmarked so I can go back there when I get to that point in the development of the top.
There was another vendor at the quilt show selling hand painted scarves for $1500 each. Definitely outside my price range and not my style, but lovely regardless.