I had a craving for chili. It needed to be flavorful without being hot and totally low FODMAP. And like just about everything I make, it had to use up stuff I had on hand. I’m out of red and green peppers or you know I would have added them as well.
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1/2 pound ground sausage (home made, really super mild)
- tomatillos (small, about a dozen) – watch the big ones, they can be bitter.
- tomato (1/4 large tomato)
- green onion (3-5 depending on size)
- garlic oil
- red wine
- bone broth
- 1.5 cups nacho beans (instant pot cooked beans with gorugachu chili flakes, bacon and salt) – soak/rinse/soak/rinse the beans before cooking to make them low FODMAP
- lactose free sour cream
- tortilla chips
Add a couple tablespoons of butter to a frying pan. Add a bit of garlic oil. Add chopped green onion. Once the green onion softens add the meat. Once the meat is browned add diced tomatoes and tomatillos. Add seasoning (1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp each of coriander, paprika, cilantro, chili powder (cayenne), salt, 1 cup bone broth and a dash of red wine.
Simmer until the tomatillos break down. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and tortilla chips.
It’s really good! It’s flavorful and super mild.