I’ve finally got all my ducks in a row and have cast one of my feet in pursuit of lasts for making my own shoes.
I zipped together a box for the mold, using scrap pieces of 6″ plastic pipe to fill in corners so I don’t waste molding material. I sealed the seams with some caulk I had on hand (butyl silicone). I think just about anything would work as a sealer. One pound of alginate fills the mold to my ankle. How great is that?!
I taped my anti-arch support in the bottom of the mold before adding the alginate, then stood in the alginate until it set up. Getting my foot out was pretty easy, just a little wiggling and I was free.
It takes 4 cups of plaster of Paris to fill the mold to the ankle.
The alginate is a nice molding medium. It’s pretty easy to tear apart to remove the plaster of Paris positive and it faithfully reproduces whatever is molded.
I went up to our son’s to get a part for my table saw repaired. While I was there he cleaned up the positive, a necessary step in getting it ready to mold.
And there you have it, a semi-ready form to cast for my left foot last. I still need to skim-coat it with Bondo before a final sand to make sure it’s smooth, smooth, smooth. I’ll get the right foot done this week. Hopefully we can get the lasts cast this coming weekend.
Making shoes will be a good bad-weather project. I really need shoes that will support my rotten ankle and keep my feet dry while running around outside.