So here’s where I’m at on the second pair of “real” shoes. These are oil tanned bison outer and vegetable tanned kangaroo lining.
I sewed the upper and lining pieces together then joined them via a row of stitching around the opening. The rivets I got with the speed lacers where too small so I sent them off to Albert at Sunshine Shoe Repair for rivets to hold on the speed lacers I got at an online shop specializing in fittings for those who build S&M harness and clothing. <wince> What can I say, it’s where I found them.
After a good soak, I stretched the lining over the last and nailed it in place.
After it dried I added a ring of inner tube to hold the lining in place while I denailed, trimmed and glued the lining to the insole.
After the glue had dried I trimmed off the excess and rasped the bottom to a fairly regular surface.
Now I need to add the filler, a piece of leather the thickness of the lining leather. Once the glue holding the filler in place is dry, I’ll build the shapers. My butt stitching is improving and I hope to have a not too lumpy shaper over which the outer will be stitched down to the midsole.
I’m using 7-cord waxed linen thread for the hand sewing bits. I’m using nylon upholstery thread for the machine sewn bits.