I was forced to shuffle plants around in the plant wall. Terry couldn’t feed his fish without having to fight through the ricinifolia Immense, and the plant was happily increasing in size. The largest leaf is over 18″ long on a 2′ long stalk. As the leaves matured the situation was going to get much worse, so decisions had to be made.
To reconfigure the wall I pulled a areca palm on the left side of the wall and increased the opening and installed one of the begonias. Then I cut another opening in a blank spot and installed the other, removing the majority of the large leaves at the base of the plants.
I pulled the orchid and put it in a new spot against the right side of the wall next to the window and put a split leaf philodendron in the spot where the largest begonia was removed. This fills in the spot and gets the orchid out to where it’s not so crowded.
I was amazed when I pulled the ricinifolia Immense how little root it had added since being installed in the wall. It had not much more root than when I put it in the wall, but the leaves were getting . . . well . . . IMMENSE.
Now Wadly can get to his tank to feed his fish without having to do it by braille.