I’ve got a lot of blank space in the wall right now. I tore out all the waffle plants. I just didn’t like them. It takes a lot for me to dump a plant, so that gives you an idea how much I didn’t care for this particular variety.
I didn’t tear out the waffle plants until I had a plan for replacement. I have some rex begonias coming as soon as the weather gets just a bit better. It’s pointless to spend the money and then have them die in shipping because the weather sucks. I can be patient.
I’ve got a bunch of stuff in the gutter in preparation LouAnn’s wall. It’s been an excellent teaching moment. If you’ve been following the wall since its inception, you’ll know I had my timing set to water running through the wall at set intervals. From watching plants in the gutter, its become apparent the watering periods were too infrequent. As a result, I’ve changed the timing. The pump pushing water to the wall is now on for 15 minutes and off for 1½ hours. Terry has noticed we are now replenishing the aquarium with twice the volume of water. This may be too frequent. I don’t know how long I’ll have to watch the wall to determine if the timing is right.