I started a new project last night. I haven’t been able to appliqué for a couple years so I’m really excited about this.
I’ve wanted to try some new stuff. A friend supplied the material and will get the resulting coat. I’ve made tests of the coat pattern (A Little Something), made the necessary adjustments and I’m ready to go!
This is a three color coat. The left side of the jacket is purple batik. The right is green batik and the accent is ink navy. The sleeve bottom and coat bottom will be bordered in Oriental Dance blocks.
This bit of the project is all hand appliqué. The horse head pattern is on a piece of paper on the back. I sew the three layers together (paper, background and foreground) using a sewing machine and staying on the pattern lines. From the front I carefully cut the foreground material away and, as I unpick the stitching, I turn the edge under on the stitching line and appliqué the foreground down to the background being careful not to catching the paper in the stitching. This technique gives me accurate and flat appliqué. It always looks like the appliqué was just ironed flat. So far, so good! I think it’s looking awesome!
I’m not sure how it’s going to be quilted. I may give Karen the background and batting and have her pin the coat pieces to it and quilt them. So far I’ve got the pattern pieces cut extra big so there’s room around the outside to stitch it down to the backing before it’s mounted on the quilting machine. That might work. You can tell I’m still pondering this part.