It’s very much a Mr. Rogers kind of day. The sun is out, the crocuses are in bloom, the elephant garlic is showing green shoots. Spring is just around the corner. I need to get a pair of shoes done so I can get out and play!
After completing the fitter pair, I made some adjustments to the lasts and to the pattern and I’ve started a second pair of shoes. The first pair is at Sunshine Shoe Repair having soles sewn on and grommets added for lacing. They won’t be good for anything except running around the house because they don’t come up high enough to stay on if I try and do anything but walk gently. Making them told me where I needed to make adjustments to my pattern and my lasts. We’ll see if the adjustments I made are adequate.
So here we are, new shapers are on the lasts. I’ve cut triangles out of the shapers at the heel to reduce the bulk and help shape the leather around the heel. This set of shapers come all the way to the top of the heel in place of the heel counter.
As you’ll see when I get these out of the wrapping tomorrow, my butt stitching needs more practice. I like what I’m doing and I’m learning new stuff which is always fun.