I’ve got the majority of the body put together. I need to cut blocks to fill in the edges. I need to get baby quilt (non-flammable) rayon batting and some pretty pink and green or purple and green flannel for the back. I won’t add borders. This is supposed to be a drag around quilt as she gets older so there’s no point in getting fancy or “heirloomy”.
Archive for June, 2011
Here’s Confetti Stars, all pretty and quilted. I’m really happy with this pattern.
I think I need to make one of these big enough for our bed. I like it!
The two clinging vines are doing great, slowly spreading over the wall. Now that I’m inspecting the wall more closely I’m seeing more moss.
I have had to find a new vendor for template cutting and in the process of getting templates cut I’ve had to retest some of the templates. Because the Confetti Stars is cut from strip sets, and because I hate to waste material, I’ve elected to take the testing down a productive path. Baby quilt!
I saw my friend Rachel at Safeway Thursday. She’s got a new baby girl she and Travis have named Eva. If I can get this finished and quilted little Eva will be able to sleep under the stars!
It’s aphid season again. I’m keeping a close eye on my wall as I’m already spraying it when I see aphids. Fortunately they gravitate to some plants more than others and I check those plants daily to make sure they’re free of aphids.
In my close study of the wall I found it had gained sphagnum moss! How cool is that?! I’ll keep an eye on it to see how fast it spreads. This is pretty exciting!
We have water lilly pads surfacing. That must mean it’s spring . . . or something like it.
I have a short hand awl I like to use for opening holes for hand stitching. It’s got a nice slender shaft and the hole is ample for accepting needles carrying 7-strand waxed linen. The problem with using it is the amount of time the process takes. Punch three holes, sew three holes, punch three holes, sew three holes. The left foot took me two days as my neck would wear out from fighting the awl out of the hole once I managed to get it into the leather to make the hole.
Some really bright guy on the Crispin Colloquy (shoemakers list) used a drill press to punch leather. The drill press wasn’t running, it was used as a press (leverage). Insert the tool into the chuck (he was using a three gang chisel punch) and pull the lever. Instant hole. I thought it was such an exceptional idea I just had to try it.
It took less than five minutes to punch all the holes I needed for stitching the shaper to the midsole for the right shoe. There’s no way I could have done the job that easily or quickly with my hand awl. I had previously marked all the holes so jumping from one to the next was a breeze.
The crewel needle I used held up really well to being chucked in the press. I didn’t turn the drill press on to see if I’d managed to chuck it completely straight. I don’t know how much the difference in symmetry was an issue. It worked and that’s what I needed to happen.